Thursday, August 6, 2009

Lack of Experience and the Stay at Home Mom

Lack of experience is the biggest obstacle preventing the stay at home mom from finding a job. In my personal experience, you really have to sell yourself, and make sure the potential employer knows why they would benefit from hiring you. I had one employer who did have a strong interest in me, due to my knowledge of food, especially gourmet food. (I did not pursue that opening,however, as it turned out to be just a deli clerk position). It is vital to try and find something in the job opening that fits your skills, and sell that fit to the employer.
In the case of the job which I just landed, it is a local job, so I sold the fact that I lived nearby, and I also talked about the fact that I am highly organized, which is a must for the job.

3 comments:

  1. That's my problem right now...I went to school, got a degree in a field that I've always loved since I was a kid, got married, had a kid (actually I finally got the degree after I had my baby) and decided to stay home with him. I never had the chance to use what I learned in school. Now that I want to go work, I am not getting hired due to lack of experience. And the competition is fierce. Now I am having to compete against experienced people AND new college graduates.

    Just wanted to let you know that I love your blog! I'm adding it to my bloglist so that I can read all your updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for your positive feedback! I intend to keep posting, and hope I can provide some helpful hints. I think that it IS possible to re-enter the workforce, just not easy.

    ReplyDelete